Remember, Remember

Before coming to London, I literally had no idea what Guy Fawkes Day was about. For whatever reason, maybe I just fell asleep that day in History, or the fact that I'd never seen V for Vendetta, all I knew was that on the 5th of November most of my Facebook friends posted all this poetic nonsense about remembering gunpower. What's all that about??!

Guy Fawkes Day is celebrated every 5th of November to remember and celebrate Guy Fawkes' failed plot to blow up Parliment in 1605. To commemorate his failed attempt at blowing something up, the Brits celebrate by - how else? - blowing stuff up. And having huge, HUGE bonfires.

Y'all, let me tell you...this pyromaniac has a new favorite holiday.

Our evening began with ride on the tube and a shorter ride on a bus. We chose to attend the bonfire/fireworks at a park in Kensington and Chelsea, because it was one of the events that was closest to us, and it was free. It was held a park that was very easy to find, which is always nice when you're walking around at night in a strange place. There were a lot of people there, and before the bonfire was lit, the crowds were entertained by drummers, stilt-walkers, and fire-jugglers. At 6:45, they lit the bonfire.
 
 
 
Notice the large sheet (made of plywood? I don't know..) facing the front with a Guy Fawkes mask painted on :)
 
I have never seen a bonfire this large in my life. It quickly started producing a lot of heat, causing the ring of spectators surrounding it to start inching backwards.
 
Me and Miss Molly Goyne, looking very orange


Autumn, Me, Rachel, Molly, and Tayler. Having a blast (pun intended..?) at the celebration, and reppin' Iota Chi.


After the bonfire burned down a little bit, the fireworks began:
 

 
 I don't have any other pictures of the fireworks, because I was so focused on watching the show. It was one of the best shows that I've seen in a while, and combined with the bonfire, a crisp November evening, and good friends, it was one of the most fun evenings I've had in London. I'm not joking when I say that Guy Fawkes Day is my new favorite holiday. It's like the 4th of July in November, and I prefer November weather to July. Sorry, Independance Day. I still love you.
 
 Heading home on the central line. Not sure why I'm making that face...
 
If you've never celebrated Guy Fawkes Day, I suggest looking into it next year. It's great fun. Just, please....check your local fireworks laws. Be smart. Be safe. Have fun.
 
 
Remember, remember 
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!
Yours truly,
Jenna Light