Happy New Year!


I don't know about you, but I have always loved riding on New Year's Day. The weather can be pretty intimidating in our neck of the woods, but looks like this year might be an exception. If anyone is up for a ride tomorrow, I'm game. Incredibly, they are predicting temperatures around 50 degrees, which is almost shorts-weather! I'm not sure I would go quite that far, but it's too nice to pass up. Let's meet at the Hall-Dale Elementary School off Winthrop Street and see what we can find for clear streets. Maybe we'll check out the Rail Trail before heading over to Slates! Hope to see you there!

Saturday, January 1st - HALLOWELL
"Happy New Year!" - a scenic tour over hill and dale through Hallowell.
START: 11:00 AM, Hall-Dale Elementary School, 26 Garden Lane off of Winthrop Street in Hallowell.
DISTANCE: 15-20 miles.
TERRAIN: moderately hilly.
HIGHLIGHTS: a new year, great weather, Slates Bakery (yes, they're open) and part of the rail trail perhaps.
LEADER: Jim Merrick.

As proof of my fondness of New Year's Day rides, here's a selection of old patches from rides in the past. My old club, the Charles River Wheelmen, holds an annual New Year's Day ride in Boston starting from Park Square. I took part in every one of the rides run in the 16 years I lived in Boston, I led the ride twice, and I've been back to visit on New Year's several years since. On some years, they have had over 100 riders on the New Year's Day ride!