Because "No One Mourns the Wicked"

Tonight Megan, Tori, Rachel, Autumn and I decided to see Wicked! A few of us had been talking about seeing it for a while now and an hour before we left it was decided that we would just show up an hour early and see if they had tickets...and they did! We got to sit all together too which was surprising as well.
The first time I saw Wicked was about four years ago and I feel like I was able to get more of the hidden humor this time around. The Wizard of Oz sand this song and the words just seemed to make so much sense. Here is a snip it of the lyrics:


[Wizard:] Oh, my dear child...
I never asked for this or planned it in advance
I was merely blown here by the winds of chance
I never saw myself as a Solomon or Socrates
I knew who I was, one of your dime a dozen mediocrities
Then suddenly I’m here, respected, worshiped even
Just because the folks in Oz needed someone to believe in
Does it surprise you I got hooked and all too soon
What can I say? I got carried away

And not just by balloon...
Wonderful, they called me wonderful
So I said, wonderful, if you insist
I will be wonderful and they said wonderful
Believe me it's hard to resist
'Cuz it feels wonderful
They think I’m wonderful
Hey look who's wonderful
This corn-fed hick!
Who said it might be keen
To build a town of green
And a wonderful road of yellow brick!
See, I never had a family of my own since I was always traveling, and I guess I just wanted to give the citizens of Oz everything.
[Elphaba:] So you lied to them?
[Wizard:] Only verbally. Besides, they were the lies they wanted to hear. Elphaba, where I come from we believe all sorts of things that aren't true... We call it history!
A man's called a traitor or liberator
A rich man's a thief or philanthropist
Is one a crusader or ruthless invader
It's all in the label which is able to persist

There are precious few at ease
With moral ambiguities
So we act as though they don't exist...
They call me wonderful, so I am
In fact, it's so much who I am it's part of my name!
And with my help you can be the same... 


The first time I listened to this song I just did not get the meaning of the song. But something about this song just clicked this time around and it is probably one of my favorites from the show.
Seeing Wicked in the UK was also an interesting experience. Elphaba spoke with an American accent but Glinda did not but she was still as wonderful and glamorous as ever! I am very glad we went and saw it here in London because it is probably my favorite musical. I got the same feeling when Glinda and Elphaba sang Defying Gravity and they did a beautiful job during that song. I am posting that song below because even though I really like the above song, Defying Gravity will always be the best song in the musical. 

 -Chloe